The Daily Bitch… I Love a Messy Counter

22 Feb

So, as I’ve mentioned, for Valentine’s Day my husband gave me a year’s worth of gluten-free treats from the GFree Pantry.   And my mother-in-law gave me a two-pound box of See’s Candies.  To be specific, she sent me a box of Bordeaux, half milk chocolate and half dark chocolate.  Bordeaux is my favorite candy in the world.  Absolute favorite.  And no, my mother-in-law is not taking applications for additional daughters.

Why am I telling you this?  Well, it’s obvious, isn’t it?   All See’s Candies are gluten-free.  Every single glorious bite, but especially (and most importantly) Bordeaux.  Yum.

Legally speaking, the See’s candy is officially for the “family”, but everyone knows that whenever chocolate enters the house, no matter what it says on the card, it is really for “me”.  For the past five days, therefore, I have been expending a lot of energy hiding the Bordeaux from the girls.  It has been all over the house — I can’t tell you more because the girls read this blog and it could limit my options later.

But tonight they found the box.  I know that because, when I came downstairs, the kitchen counter was covered with those little rice-shaped chocolate sprinkles that cover a See’s Bordeaux.  They were everywhere.  This was not surprising.  I know — from eating many, many Bordeaux myself — that it is impossible to eat a Bordeaux without sending a little snowstorm of chocolate jimmies down all around you.

My girls will happily tell you that I am a bit obsessive about clean counters, and I will agree — up to a point. I don’t fold laundry, and I don’t really unload the dishwasher, but I do believe in a nice, crumb-free counter top.  (Don’t even get me going on the glutinous crumbs issue.)  But when I came into the kitchen just now and saw all those chocolate sprinkles on the butcher block, all I felt was happy.  Happy for the girls, because I knew what they were eating right then.  And happy for me, because I knew what I was going to be eating in just one second.

My box of Pirate’s Booty and gluten-free graham crackers hasn’t arrived yet, but right now I’m eating a Bordeaux.

Bye bye for now,

Enid

Today’s Treat:  Can you guess?  I had one for breakfast, with my tea.  I had one for lunch, with whatever else I was eating (I don’t remember).  I possibly had a few around 4:00.  And now I’m having more.  If you don’t live in California and therefore don’t have a Sees Candy store nearby, you can order Bordeaux (dark or milk chocolate) by the box, online.  http://www.sees.com.

Advertisements

9 Responses to “The Daily Bitch… I Love a Messy Counter”

1. Sarah Savasky February 22, 2012 at 5:42 am #

you make everything sound so yummy!

2. Laura Davis February 22, 2012 at 7:43 am #

Aw…..I want to taste one. I’ve never had a Bordeaux, but I’m still in Mexico! Can you sneak me one on Friday?

• Enid February 23, 2012 at 1:57 am #

Wish I could, but… we ate them. All two pounds. Next time!

• Laura Davis February 23, 2012 at 6:25 am #

How could you (eat them all)??? I just arrived from Mexico. It’s after midnight for me and I have to drive home from San Francisco. If only I had a Bordeaux, I could make it….

3. Jennifer Astone February 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

I want to rush right down to See’s and get a Bordeaux. What’s inside of it anyway?

I’ve always been a fan of dessert for breakfast, something my mom taught me. It’s a cheap way to turn a day into a vacation day because all of the healthy rules are broken. Glad the GFB are having a little fun!

• Enid February 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Such a good question! In the incomparable words of the official See’s website, a Bordeaux (TM!) is a “heavenly blend of creamy brown sugar covered in rich, dark chocolate and decorated with chocolate rice.” Personally, I don’t like the use of the word “rice” in this context. Even though rice is gluten-free (the crowd roars), I would prefer to use “jimmies” or, better yet, “sprinkles” to describe the deliciousness on the outside of a Bordeaux.

4. fogfb (friend of gluten-free bitches February 24, 2012 at 1:03 am #

I cannot imagine a world without See’s. Since my father worked for one of See’s wholesale suppliers, Guittard Chocolate Company, during most of my childhood, we had frequent boxes of See’s candy all over the place. (Just for the record, my personal faves are: dark chocolate covered almonds, and dark chocolate-on-chocolate truffles, but that’s neither here nor there.)

After mother died, I discovered she had saved years’ worth of empty See’s candy boxes in the garage. I used them to pack various oddments as I gathered up her 85 years’ worth of stuff. I have a See’s box full of nothing but her combs, another with those little rectangular mirrors you keep in your purse, and yet another full of diamond nail files. I have such a bounteous supply of these things, my great-granddaughters will not have to buy combs or nail files.

What all this has to do with gluten, I have no idea. I just went off on a tangent . . .

5. Willa March 1, 2012 at 3:14 am #

Perks of being in college — I get a box of bordeaux all to myself!!!! I literally ate 4 of them today…. oops 🙂

Also, my friend Jordan came up with what I think is the best name for the “rice”: “chocolate freckles!” Isn’t that cute?

6. alterhome January 22, 2013 at 3:06 am #

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he just bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!